Comic creative professionals, publishers, retailers, and fans came together Saturdaynight, September 23, 2017 to socialize, dine, and experience the comic book industry celebrating recognition of their peers, co-workers, and competitors at the 2017 Mike Wieringo Comic Book Industry Awards. The inaugural Ringo Awards was sponsored by Presenting Sponsors Cards, Comics & Collectibles and the Baltimore Comic-Con; Gold Sponsors The Amazing Comic Shop, BOOM! Studios, Geppi Family Enterprises, Painted Vision Comics; Silver Sponsors AfterShock Comics, South Carolina Comic-Con, ComicMix, and Valiant Entertainment; and Gift Bag Sponsors Abrams ComicArts, AfterShock Comics, Archie Comic Publications, BOOM! Studios, Dark Horse Comics, DC Comics, Dynamite Entertainment, Flesk Publications, IDW Publishing, Scholastic, Source Point Press, ‘Toon Tumblers, and Valiant Entertainment. The banquet and awards ceremony honoring nominees and winners in professional and fan categories was hosted by the Baltimore Comic-Con and Cards, Comics & Collectibles.
The Mike Wieringo Comic Book Industry Awards is an annual celebration of the creativity, skill and fun of comics. The nomination ballot is determined by fans and pros alike.
The Ringo Awards was honored to present David Petersen, best known as the multiple award-winning writer and artist of Mouse Guard., as the inaugural keynote presenter at the event.
A very special thanks go to the sponsors who donated items to the 2017 Ringo Awards Gift Bags, including Abrams ComicArts, AfterShock Comics, Archie Comic Publications, BOOM! Studios, Dark Horse Comics, DC Comics, Dynamite Entertainment, Flesk Publications, IDW Publishing, Scholastic, Source Point Press, ‘Toon Tumblers, and Valiant Entertainment.
- Favorite Hero: Cash Wayne (Spectrum)
- Favorite Villain: Arlo (unOrdinary)
- Favorite New Series: Spectrum
- Favorite New Talent: InstantMiso
- Best Cover Artist: Frank Cho
- Best Series: Vision, Marvel Comics
- Best Letterer: Todd Klein
- Best Colorist: Laura Martin
- Best Humor Comic: I Hate Fairyland, Image Comics
- Best Original Graphic Novel: March: Book III, Top Shelf Productions
- Best Comic Strip or Panel: Bloom County, Berkeley Breathed, Universal Uclick
- Best Single Issue or Story: Emancipation Day, www.redistrictedcomics.com
- Mike Wieringo Spirit Award: Future Quest #1, DC Comics
- Best Anthology: Love is Love, DC Comics/IDW Publishing
- Best Non-fiction Comic Work: March: Book Three, Top Shelf Productions
- Best Presentation in Design: Mike Mignola’s Screw-On Head and Other Curious Objects: Artist’s Edition Hardcover, IDW Publishing
- Best Webcomic: The Red Hook, Dean Haspiel
- Best Inker: Sean Murphy
- Best Writer: Tom King
- Best Artist or Penciller: Fiona Staples
- Best Cartoonist (Writer/Artist): Skottie Young
- Dick Giordano Humanitarian of the Year Award: Joshua Dysart
- Hero Initiative Lifetime Achievement Award: Marv Wolfman
About Mike Wieringo
Michael Lance “Mike” Wieringo was known to fans and friends as “Ringo”, which is how he signed his artwork. His comics artist graced the pages of DC Comics’ The Flash, Adventures of Superman, Batman, and Robin, Marvel Comics’ Fantastic Four, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Sensational Spider-Man, and Rogue, and his co-creation Tellos. He passed away on August 12, 2007 at the young age of 44 from an apparent heart attack.