ABC’s American Crime is slated to premiere Sunday, March 12 at 10 p.m. The third season of John Ridley’s drama series will address issues such as workers’ rights, reproductive rights, human trafficking, and immigration. The various narrative threads that will unfold over season 3 are as follows:
- When a father, Luis Salazar (Benito Martinez), travels illegally from Mexico into the United States to search for his missing son, he discovers that modern servitude is thriving in the farmlands and agricultural communities. Promised a job and a place to live, these laborers find themselves forced to live in abject poverty.
- Coy Henson (Connor Jessup) is a young, white American male, estranged from his family and hopelessly addicted to drugs. When he happens upon farm crew chief Isaac Castillo (Richard Cabral), he takes the opportunity to get his life back on track. But as he desperately tries to free himself of his addiction, he begins to become suspicious of Isaac’s promises and aware of the injustices taking place on the farm.
- Hesby Farms is a struggling tomato farm, forced to cut back on labor costs in order to be competitive in a market that continuously demands lower prices. Jeanette Hesby (Felicity Huffman), who married into the family that owns the farm, begins to learn the shocking truth behind their wealth.
- Kimara Walters (Regina King) is a dedicated social worker who truly wants to help those in need. Unattached, single and in her forties, she desperately wants to have a baby and is finding it hard to get pregnant, even with the help of modern medicine. When Kimara meets Shae (Ana Mulvoy-Ten), a 17-year-old prostitute, she wants to help her get out of the business, turn her life around and take a stand against her pimp.
- Nicholas Coates (Timothy Hutton) owns a furniture supply business and is feeling the sting of buyers wanting quality items at discounted prices. At home, he finds himself in a marriage where memories of the past seem much more pleasant than the present. His wife, Clair (Lili Taylor), decides that she wants to hire and provide a working visa for a Haitian woman, Gabrielle (Mickaëlle X. Bizet), to be their son’s nanny. But darkness seems to embroil this family, and Gabrielle soon discovers that her employment comes with a steep price.
Other new cast additions include Cherry Jones, Janel Moloney, Dallas Roberts, Clayton Cardenas and Sandra O.
American Crime is created and executive produced by John Ridley with Michael J. McDonald also serving as executive producer. Check out the trailer: